We are a couple embarking on our second careers focused on sustainable farming. While we don’t have a background in commercial farming, we both lived in farming communities growing up, and have been lifelong organic/sustainable gardeners . Two of our adult children will also be joining our venture.
Our ideal opportunity will be a standard purchase of an existing operation somewhere in western Connecticut that incorporates both field crops and livestock. Given we are just starting out, mentorship from the existing owners/operators would be a big plus.
While not a hard and fast list, here’s our current “wish list”:
1. Purchase 20-to-100+ acres preferably in Litchfield, Fairfield, or New Haven counties.
2. Property soil and topography is suitable for a mix of field crops and livestock.
3. Certified organic or organic eligible.
4 Adequate electric and water - pond, stream or other water access is a plus.
5. Road access suitable for Farm Stand or other retail/restaurant operation.
6. Barns, fences, infrastructure and equipment.
7. Year-round home/living space for 4 with ability to host 4+ additional family members.